Monday, August 6, 2012

Why Patience Is A Virtue

  Let me start off by saying, I am not a writer. I have never really enjoyed writing...ever. However, I feel the need to document my first year of teaching after many years of searching and waiting. So, needless to say, I apologize for the poor form and style but I hope you will look past it.

  So, on to my story. I decided about 17 years ago that I wanted to teach. My great grandmother was a math teacher and principal at Anna High School in Anna, TX; she passed away in 1995 and I remember sitting at her funeral and having so many people come up to my grandmother and say, "Your mother taught me in school. She was an amazing teacher, she may have busted my butt a few times, but she changed my life." I realized at that moment that I wanted to have that kind of impact on people. Not the busting butts kind of impact, but the impact she had on each of her students. I knew from talking to her many times how much she cared for each of her students. She worked with them just like she had worked with my mother and myself. Believe me, she had her work cut out with me; I have never been a mathematician, but she was the embodiment of patience and passion.

  I knew I wanted to be a teacher, but I didn't know what I wanted to teach. That is until I got to middle school. I took one drama class and was hooked. Drama was the niche I had been looking for for a long time. I participated in theatre all throughout middle school, high school, and eventually college. It was hard work, but those few moments on stage were enough to draw me back every single time. I decided my freshman year of college that I would major in Communications (a nice liberal arts degree that satisfied my mother's need for a "real degree") with an emphasis in Theatre. I also started my Pre-Education program.

  Fast forward about 5 years and there I am in my shiny cap and slightly short gown. I was ready to take on the world, one theatre classroom at a time! Unfortunately, somebody had some other plans for me. I graduated shortly after Dallas ISD decided to lay of 500+ employees and Fort Worth ISD followed suit shortly after that. I thought, "Well maybe I can substitute and work my way in." Yea, that wasn't happening either. So, I took a job to help pay the lovely student loans that I had acquired over the years. Every summer I scanned the region websites to find any open positions and went on a few interviews but nothing ever happened. I was about to give up hope. I couldn't believe that I had spent all this time and money on an education that wasn't doing anything for me. Then, through an unfortunate situation (the passing of a mentor at Austin College) I came into contact with my high school theatre teacher who told me to go back online and look for a position because she knew of some postings. I went home and applied, not thinking anything would happen.

  Long story short, this morning I received a call from the principal of the school I applied to in Brenham, TX. He offered me a position as a theatre teacher. My dream is finally about to come true. I am about to embark on a crazy journey as a junior high theatre teacher and this will serve as a journal, outlet, and reminder of my first year (4 years late) of teaching.

No comments:

Post a Comment